Monday 5 August 2013

Linkin: The Best Worst Dog I've Had


Last night some friends were sitting around the fire with us in our back yard. We were all laughing and telling our best "worst dog" stories. You know, every dog owner has at least one. The most frustrating, hurtful, embarrassing and revolting things your dog has done.

After a while, I realized that nearly all of my stories were about one dog! Linkin Bark, the best worst dog I've ever had. Linkin found me, really. I was on the look out for a young dog to take with me to Salmon Arm where I was attending the full courses offered at Canada West Canine Centre. I'd met Linkin previously, "Pippin" was his name then. He was this puppy, roughly 4 or 5 months old and completely full of piss and vinegar. A friend of mine brought his girlfriend of the time over to our place, which was a trailer located in the same trailer park as this girl's home. Pippin followed Karl and Pam to our place and raced from one end of the addition and back around and around. He wiggled into my lap, licked my face repeatedly before dashing away as fast as he'd appeared. I laughed, completely amazed with his total zest for life and told Pam, "one day I'm going to steal your dog."

"Go ahead," Pam replied, "everyone hates him. He's so annoying!"

I watched Pippin and Coal, my 4 year old labrador retreiver, play in the addition to the trailer. Pippin dashed across the room, jumped on Coal with his front paws and pushed with all his little puppy might and barked at him. Coal didn't even have enough time to react before Pippin was gone, running what I later called "Zoomies" back and forth and around and around. "You watch, I'm going to steal him. He's amazing." I replied.

I'd never seen a dog so purely joyful. He was clearly ecstatic to be out and playing with another dog and visiting with other people. He was clearly a dog who's potential was too big for his owners.


to be continued...



                                                                                          

Please note: Names have been changed to protect identities.
Please keep in mind this is kind of a "rough draft". 
I'll be writing Linkin's story bit by bit on the blog, so read it here first!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linkin: The Best Worst Dog I've Had
Introduction
 Chapter 1

1 comment: