Wednesday 1 August 2012

Photos From the Past

Have I got a treat for you today! :) No, it's not another Frozen Kong, it's some wonderful photos of dogs from the past. This great family came into the store today wanting scans of these absolutely beautiful scrapbooks today. Their last name is Reid, it is of their ancestors. I told them I was a dog trainer and enthusiastic and absolutely loved the photos of the dogs, and asked if I could copy some to share with my readers. They told me that was fine, so here I am, about to show you a little piece of the Pawprints of History (a title of a Stanley Corren book I really recommend if you love stuff like this!).

 
Left: The description only tells you that Elmer Reid is on the left in this photo, the man holding the dog. I am told he was a dog enthusiast, and enjoyed their company both as the intelligent beings he recognized them as, as well as the viable canine workers that they were often used as, and still are in some places today.

It is likely this German Shepherd Dog was either a stock dog or a guard dog on a farm. GSD's were originally bred as stock dogs, though these days are more commonly used for guarding, and of course, Police K-9 work, which they are most commonly known for.






The sheer athleticism of these amazing animals blows my mind. Now THAT is a real sled team. Traveling through the Arctic Circle; it's the only way to travel!


 
Right: I am told that this Alaskan Husky was the lead dog of Elmer's team. They were trapped in a blizzard and lost their way. Deciding to take their chances, they let their lead dog (Poochie) off and told him to find their way home, and he did. He lead them through the blizzard, to their home and saved their lives.


Left: I've stared at this photo a while, trying to figure out what breed of dog is in it.

The photo was taken in 1938. Judging by the cut of the face of the dog, it almost looks like a Bedlington Terrier. It is quite hard to tell though.



Bellow: What could either be a Borzoi or a Deerhound (these old photos can be hard to tell, especially since breeds have changed over the years as well) being held by the collar by Olive Reid's mother. The two other dogs in the photo appear to be pointers of some type. If you know what breed, please post in the comments!





No comments:

Post a Comment