Thursday 5 July 2012

Frozen Kongs

The possibilities for Frozen Kongs is really quite endless. If a dog can eat it, you can stuff it in a Kong! Adding water/beef or chicken broth and throwing it in the freezer only makes for a longer lasting treat that is great for got summer days!

I use to have several Kongs, that have actually lasted me a few dogs now, but somehow I seem to be missing two; the red one and black one.... For those unaware; the colour of the Kong indicates durability. Black is the strongest, followed by red, and at the bottom is the blue and white one, which comes as a "Water Kong". It is stuffed with foam and a yellow rope strung through it so you can easily toss it into the water and it floats! The rope and foam we're quickly pulled out of mine by a determined dog many years ago!

Since the Water Kong was the only one I could find, I chose to also use the Milkbone Ball. This ball, I've found, is just as durable as a red Kong, but it is not as ideal for stuffing because it has more holes to plug!

Both dogs have been getting bored lately while I'm at work, and my foster Sasha has taken to trying to follow me to work. Yesterday she was so determined I put her back in the fence four times before giving up and throwing a leash on her and taking her to work. While she was quite well behaved for a dog in the office, it is not ideal working conditions when I have to chase after her while customers are there. At least with Coal I can tell him "in the office" or "behind the counter" and he knows what it means from when he had to come with me for several Weeks when we had first moved into the trailer and didn't have a fence yet.

So I decided last night to make done frozen Kongs to distract and keep Sasha busy while I walked to work! I plugged the holes with peanut butter and biscuits, added a bit of silver coloid and olive oil and filled the rest with water. I chose these ingredients for both because Sasha has allergies, so my usually "peanut butter sandwich Kong" wouldn't do because Sasha can't have wheat. The treats I used are wheat-free also.

I made sure to wrap them both in plastic bags and put them in the freezer over night.
When I gave them to the dogs this morning, Coal took his greedily onto the lawn, where he could protect it with his life! Sasha wasn't sure what to do with hers, but after some encouragement from me, quickly figured out how to get the yummy stuff from the middle!








No comments:

Post a Comment