Monday 16 January 2012

Monday's Trick Challenge: Shake (body)

Coal and Linkin will both shake in the tub when I tell them to, but they also shake when I don't tell them to (and drench me in the process!) I also found they won't shake when they are dry, even though when I tell them "shake" in the tub they will. I wanted to try a new trick with the camera (capturing the dog shaking), but couldn't get Coal to shake on command without drenching him in water.

The following is a "How To" I found, and I am adding my comments in blue on how to adapt it into a trick, and not just a means to keep your dog from shaking on you in the tub until you tell him to.

Using the "warm weather" technique, lightly wet the dog, continuously admonishing "no shake". If the dog tries to shake, grab the coller and hold gently and remind "no shake".


  • 2
    Hold the dog and drench him/her with the hose (avoiding the face/ears). Then let go and say excitedly "ok - shake". The dog should shake natuarally (if not, try tickling the inside of his/her ear gently to help induce the shake response) tickling the dogs ears or lightly dripping small amounts of water on top of the dogs head (be careful to avoid the ears, eyes and nose) will accomplish a shake without having to drench your dog, in case you have -20 (C) degrees weather like I do!. Then reward/treat the dog eagerly.

  • 3
    After a few shakes, hold the dog, and admonish again "no shake". The dog should have no urge to shake, and should easily follow this command. Reward/treat immediately.

  • 4
    Repeat steps 1-3 until the dog will stand there, dripping wet, yet still waiting for the shake command. Also, the dog should shake, even when dry.


  • Want more dogs shaking? Check this out :D

    No comments:

    Post a Comment