Tuesday 8 March 2011

Introducing Dogs to Eachother Part One

I apologize for the delay in posts, It has taken me a few days to wrap my brain around this post and get all my documents together!

Many people think you can throw two or more dogs together and they will automatically be friends. This couldn't be further from the truth. Dogs are like people in the sense that they don't always get along with others, whether there's a reason for it or not. Have you instantly liked everyone you've ever met? Dogs are no different. Some dogs they don't get along with for no apparent reason, and sometimes it's because that dog is under socialized and therefore does not act appropriately around other dogs.

This is why socialization is so important. It makes introducing new dogs together much easier! It also makes for a much calmer and well adjusted dog!

I recently had the honor of looking after my mom's 6 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Brady. Brady, like most puppies, is hyper and inexperienced with other dogs and therefore hasn't quite learned doggy social skills yet. Brady is also like most Cavaliers, he is very gung-ho on meeting new people and animals and LOVES everyone! This is great, except my dogs, like a lot of dogs, have very strict rules about personal space. Brady doesn't understand what personal space means yet!

For the most part I like to let dogs deal with problems amongst themselves in the ways they know how; through body language, posturing, and vocal cues such as growls and snarls (remember; these are warnings and does not automatically mean a bite is to follow!). However, when I have a new dog to introduce that I know will not respect my dogs personal space or has weak doggy social skills AND is the size of my dogs head, I want to take some precautions and not leave everything up t them to sort out! Because Brady was at a higher risk of being seriously injured and I am responsible for him as the human in the situation I wanted to make the transition into my "pack" as easy and pain-free as possible for everyone involved!

I started by keeping Brady in his crate. This kept him physically safe from the other dogs as well as mentally safe. Brady is crate trained and views his crate as a safe place. The crate kept my dogs from reaching him as well as Brady from invading my dogs personal space instantly, which I knew he would do!

Coal had already met Brady before, and they had already sorted out their differences. I knew what to expect from him (for the most part, he tries to avoid Brady as he doesn't like him getting in his space, but Coal is well-tempered enough to issue warnings and remove himself from the situation rather than attack).

Linkin, on the other hand, is known for violent out-bursts for no apparent reasons and I don't exactly trust him as far as I can throw him! That being said, I also know that it's important for both Brady and Linkin to be introduced to one another for their own personal experiences as well as because they are "family" and will not be able to avoid each other forever!

The first introduction through the dog crate went smoothly. Linkin sniffed, Brady sniffed, and they showed excitement, interest and tail wags. There was an occasional growl from Linkin which I quickly reprimanded with an "EH!" in a "disappointing tone" and stepped between him and the crate. What this said to Linkin was "that is unacceptable, and if you can't be nice you will not get to meet this dog". Linkin responded by keeping a respectful distance and tone from the crate. A "I promise to be good!" if you will.

Once everyone was calm and no longer as interested in each other I created a barricade between the "addition" and the kitchen. I let Brady loose in the kitchen and kept my two in the addition. The barricade was tall enough to keep them apart but short enough that they could sniff each other over it. I stood close in case I needed to step in and remove Brady (being the smallest, he is easier to pick up and move than my dogs are!).

At this point (and all others in the introduction phase) it is very important how you handle YOURSELF and what "vibes" you are "giving off". Dogs pick up on body language the best of all. If you are feeling nervous and uneasy they will know it and think there is something to feel nervous and uneasy about! It's important to stay calm and assertive. You are in charge, but you will not need to assert your authority because everything and everyone is okay. Keep repeating this to yourself if it will help you keep yourself calm.

Because my dogs are a pack and will react based on each others excitement and emotions it is best to introduce them one at a time. I started with Coal because he is the easiest and had already met Brady. I knew he would stay calm under pressure. I let him into the kitchen while Linkin (also the subordinate of the two, meaning he was more likely to follow Coal's lead) watched from behind the barricade.

Once the excitement between Brady and Coal had calmed I removed Coal from the kitchen (ending on a positive note, just like you do in training!) and let Linkin in.

No comments:

Post a Comment